Broken Ankle Week 22
It mostly does get better. Last week my ankle was not happy with all the walking. This week I walked 2ish miles/day and no additional pain or swelling (as long as it’s mostly walking on flat ground — the hills of San Francisco are still challenging).
I love this photo because I look like I’m back to normal and having an evening stroll with a friend. I’m not nearly back to normal because I can’t walk fast up/down hills and stairs and run around my neighborhood — that’s my normal I’m planning to get back to.
New this past week: I went for an acupuncture appointment to see if acupuncture would help with mild swelling, flexibility, nerve pain and other minor ailments related to this recovery. The next day my ankle felt more flexible and a bit less achy and crunchy. I made appointments for weekly acupuncture for a month.
- The crunchiness in my ankle is the feeling when it moves around and it can do it but it is a bit tight. It’s a tired ache and twinge where it can almost bend/move more but not quite yet. A little bit more each week.
- Dorsiflexion is so slow to come back. I want to be able to bend my ankle more going down stairs and hills. Working on it.
- Nerve pain around incisions continues here and there each day. It’s a sharp quick stingy stab of pain for a few seconds.
- I have a new cold feeling in my heel after walking (no icing, nothing cold on my foot). Physical therapist says it is nerves and we’re working to desensitize the nerves with massage. PT also suggested getting a lot of rice, putting it in a bucket, then putting my foot in the rice in the bucket to help desensitize. I love the creativity of managing this recovery!
- When I walk, I am aware of every single step in that ankle. I’m looking forward to not noticing my ankle.
- Sometimes my ankle is surprisingly flexible. I haven’t figured out the cause yet for that effect. It’s not consistent.
- Walking 2 miles without a cane!
- Walking 1/2 mile to grocery store, getting a bag full of vegetables, walking 1/2 mile back home — all without a cane!
When I look back at all my notes, since original injury earlier this year, I haven’t progressed exactly on the timetable that was estimated. That’s alright. Healing isn’t linear. Here is a list of goals I made a few months ago and half of them are done.
- DONE! Walk up/down stairs and sleep in our own bed in the loft
- DONE! Walk to get groceries and cat food
- DONE! Sit without propping up ankle (restaurants, airplanes)
- 45 min fast walk/jog every day
- Walk on beach (I’ve done this once)
- Run from danger (because I live in a city!)